Awesome upcoming Family Events at John Rogers!
Plan to hang out with your John Rogers family this Friday and next! PTA is sponsoring both of these wonderful family events and we hope you are planning to join in!
Movie Night @ John Rogers
When: Friday, January 29th @ 6:30 PM
Where: John Rogers Cafeteria
What: Disney Pixar’s Inside Out
Movie Night is free for all families, but bring your $1’s… there will be a yummy bake sale put on by our 5th Grade Families and proceeds will be used to help pay for 5th Grade Camp
John Rogers Art Walk and Family Dinner
When: Friday, February 5th @ 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm
Taco Night! Dinner served from 6-7 pm
Where: John Rogers Elementary
What: It’s a celebration of arts at our school! There will be art activities, displays of our children’s art and local artists.
The Art Walk and Family Dinner are free for all families…please plan to join us!
Friday, January 29th – Day between Semesters/School Make up Day – School is Open! Book It Theatre Performance. JR Movie Night –Movie: Disney Pixar’s Inside Out @ 6:30 PM
February 2nd – JR Attendance Boundary Change Community Meeting w/ Seattle School District Admin 6:30 – 7:30
February 3rd – JR Kindergarten Tours 9:15 – 10:15
February 5th – John Rogers Community Art Walk & Family Dinner
February 10th – JR Kindergarten Tours 9:15 – 10:15
February 11th – Jane Addams Middle School Open House
Do you use creativity in your work each day?
We are looking for everyday art superheroes to come and share with our John Rogers community at Art Walk on Friday, February 5th. Looking for all kinds of creative professions: hairdresser, architect, tattoo artist, graphic designer, window decorator, makeup artist, pastry chef, etc. If you or someone you know fits this description and would like to help out, please contact Suzanne Stauss (email@example.com)
What’s going on in Music & P.E. at John Rogers??
-In P.E. we are just finishing up a 2 week bowling unit. The students each took turns with 4 different jobs: Bowler, Pin Setter, Ball Returner & Score Keeper. Grades 2-5 learned how to keep score by adding pins for each frame & had to learn that a strike is worth 10 points plus the next 2 balls rolled & a spare is 10 points plus the next ball rolled. Ask your student why a “Turkey” is called a turkey in bowling!! For the next couple of weeks, we will be goal setting for our fitness test scores, as well as integrating Nutrition based games and activities. Grades K-1 will be working on fitness testing, as well as games & activities that integrate Sight Words! Go Hawks! J~Mrs. Blumhagen
-There is lots of big news in music for 2016! First, we received a $2,000 grant to buy a classroom set of ukuleles for the music room and are in the process of ordering them for an upcoming ukulele unit for fourth and fifth graders!! Second, we welcomed student teacher Emily Nelson. She is studying to become a music teacher at Seattle Pacific University and is a wonderful musician, adding her guitar, piano, and voice skills to our classroom. All students have been focusing on the songs of the civil rights movement this January and will be sharing some at our January spirit assembly on Friday, the 15th.-Mrs. Trinneer
Seattle School District Admissions Fair
The Admissions Department is hosting its first annual Admissions Fair at Mercer Middle School on Saturday, Jan. 30, 2016 from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. with a focus on our option schools. Various departments from the district will also be in attendance as an opportunity to showcase our district and each school’s distinctiveness while helping to answer questions from our families.
Advanced Learning Testing:
The Advanced Learning office will notify families (who referred a child by the Oct. 8 deadline) via email about a child’s eligibility as scores are received and processed, late January through February. Families who haven’t received an eligibility email by Feb. 29 should contact Advanced Learning at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Eligibility Letter.”
- Enrollment: Families who would like their child to participate in Advanced Learning programs or services in a school other than the attendance-area school should enroll the child during Open Enrollment, Feb. 17 to March 1. Families should submit a School Choice Form during this window even if they have NOT received eligibility results by this time.
- Ineligible Students and Appeals: Families who wish to appeal must provide all appeals documents no later than THREE WEEKS from the date of the eligibility email. (We have tightened the appeals window in order to accommodate budget and staffing timelines.)
- Eligible Students and Enrollment
- Highly Capable-eligible students: HC services are guaranteed, either at the attendance-area school or through self-contained classes in the pathway Highly Capable Cohort school. To join the cohort, families should submit a School Choice form during Open Enrollment.
- Advanced Learning-eligible students: Students may receive advanced work at the attendance-area school or through self-contained or cluster-grouped Spectrum classes, available at designated sites on a space-available basis. Families may submit a School Choice form during Open Enrollment, but a seat is not guaranteed.
K-8 testing continues at least through January, but all families who referred by the Oct. 8 deadline should have received a testing appointment date by now. Those who have not should email email@example.com with the subject line “Winter Testing.”